|St Andrews House Edinburgh. Cat A Listed Building.|
|R&D, Specialist Structural Survey, Monitoring and Restoration Project.|
|Project Budget||£400,000 - £3 million plus|
|Project Delivered||To time and Budget|
Scope of Works – St Andrews House
Instructed by the First Minister on behalf of the Scottish Government, Desmonde Associates (DA) are responsible for detailed structural inspections of St Andrews House, Edinburgh. A Grade ‘A’ Listed Building, it was one of the first to utilise steel framed construction as the main form of support. It provides offices, conferencing, and catering facilities for over 800 Civil Servant, The Frist Minister and her Team.
DA’s specialist responsibilities include evaluating the Cathodic Protection (CP) system, project managing conservation projects to the Heritage Structure, detailed monitoring of the Draney stone cladding on all elevations of the building, which has six floors and extends to 35m in height.
Corrosion of the steel frame has caused displacement and cracking to the stone masonry in a number of areas
Scope of Works – St Andrews House – Challenges
Significant Research and Development was required to develop unique solutions to the challenges of working. Challenges included
- A high profile listed building.
- Situated beside an Active Train Station Hub (Waverly Station).
- An active and important work force.
- Regular foot travel and potential delays to program from stakeholder needs related to National & International Governmental Business.
- Unique, ornate and complex architecture requiring inventive access, maintenance and working access solutions.
- Conservation and Listed Building Consents.
- Specialist Materials, Fabrication and construction methodologies.
Scope of Works – St Andrews House – Solutions
Our approaches to solutions
- Rope Access.
- Cathodic Protection and Monitoring system.
- Heritage Building Information Modelling (BIM).
- Application of Drone Technology.
- Rope Access Work, MEWP Access, specialist photography.
- Specially Designed Scaffold Access Systems.
- Remote digital monitoring and collaboration to reduce CO2 impact from the diverse project team.
- Collaborative and detailed stakeholder analysis and engagement.
- Detailed R&D into the history of the area, construction materials, heritage, etc in order to meet the demands of the extensive Stakeholder Group.
Principal Items of Specialist Design and Conservation Works
Research and development of design solution as well the demanding heritage and political needs of the project.
Planning and Listed Building Consent for a Cat A Listed Building.
Research and Development
Rare building materials and methodologies. Bespoke access and construction solutions. Heritage BIM. Digital collaborative working to reduce environmental impact.
Design & Project Management
Specialist structural design and solution innovation.
Highly demanding stakeholder engagement with prominent international stakeholders within a secure working environment.