Principal Structural Engineer
IEng, AMIStructE RMaPS
- Design of Steel and Concrete Structures
- Concrete remedial techniques
- Professional Appraisals
- Large Printing Plant Facilities and Press Foundations
- Planning Supervisor
- Project Management and Contract Administration
Ray is a Principal Structural Engineer with over 30 years experience in structural engineering consultancy. He has been responsible for the design of multi-storey buildings in both reinforced concrete and steelwork, in commercial and industrial environments, in particular large Printing Plants for the Daily Telegraph and Daily Express in the Isle of Dogs, London.
He also has considerable experience with MOD (Defence Estates) projects and in the Education area for both private schools and large Universities. He became an Associate Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers in 1976 and a member of the Association of Planning Supervisors in 2002. With Desmonde Associates he has been responsible for numerous building and civil engineering structures for Imerys Minerals and design of a prestigious commercial development in Truro, Cornwall. He managers a small team of engineers and technicians involved with projects up to £6M in value.
- Experience and knowledge of current British Standards and Codes of Practice.
- Extensive knowledge of conservation building construction techniques and materials.
- Experienced in leading a team to produce deliverables on time.
- Applying innovative solutions to practical problems in design and construction.
- Client liaison and ensuring the Client’s brief is clearly understood and the requirements fulfilled.
- Implementing Counter Terrorist Measures for MOD (Defence Estates) Buildings and applying Blast Loading Design to new structures for MOD (DE) and DEUSAF projects.
Specific Projects, Which Ray Has Been Involved With
- 5 storey r.c. framed building in Bristol City Centre for Bristol & West Building Society.
- 8 storey r.c. framed building in Fleet Street for The Daily Telegraph – £5M
- New printing plant in the Isle of Dogs, London for The Daily Telegraph – £7M
- Extend refurbishment and concrete repairs to office building in Plymouth for Pearl Assurance – £70M
- 8 storey r.c. framed office building in Reading for Pearl Assurance.
- Extension to printing plant in Isle of Dogs for The Daily Express – £0.6M
- New teaching blocks and departments for Colstan School and Badminton School in Bristol – £6M
- New press installation for Western Newspaper printers (Evening Post), Bristol – £16M
- Repairs and reinstatement of dock wall in Bristol.
- Press alterations and foundations for Trafford Park Printers, Manchester.
- Concrete repairs and external refurbishment for 11 storey building for Weston College, Weston-Super-Mare.
- 2 storey office block, for MOD (DE) incorporating Counter Terrorist Measures.
- Refurbishment and new build of existing army camp in Credenhill for MOD.
- New Communication Centre for US state department at RAF Croughton.
- New secure map store and printing facility at Feltham garrison.
- New research laboratories, involving deep basement construction and high load resisting reaction walls with sub-structures for earthquake shaking table, for the University of Bristol.
- 14 no. Professional Structural Appraisals for hangars and Buildings at RNAS Culdrose.
- Leads framework structural engineering for Imerys Minerals and Projects ranging to £1m in value.
- Project Engineer for a multi-storey commercial development in Truro, Cornwall
Current Roles And Responsibilities
- Project Team Leader responsible for deliverables with structural design.
- Responsible to the Director of Engineering for the management and delivery of projects to schedule.
- Responsible for managing the design team and identifying appropriate skills.
- Implementing project strategic objectives.
- Liasing and complying with Authorities and their requirements.
- Attending Client Meetings.
- Develop and encourage team building and individual thinking.
- Oversee implementation of specific project policies.
- Assist in risk management and notify Client of CDM obligations.
- Undertake regular strategic reviews of project performance.
- Value Engineering.
- Professional Appraisals and Quadrennial Reports
- CDM-C Duties and Company Safety Advisor